Posts Tagged ‘Lee Seung Gi’
- After releasing on their respective solo albums, Horan and Alex returned to the electronica genre with DJ Clazzi. Clazziquai Project released its fourth album, Mucho Punk, on July 14. A slight variation of the album was released at the beginning of this month in Japan under the title Mucho Musica. They will perform on Mnet Countdown on July 23 and live at Seongnam ARt Center on August 21 and 22.
- SBS will broadcast a special program for its weekend hit Brilliant Legacy on Monday, August 3. Kang Ho Dong – Lee Seung Gi’s close colleague and show fan (refer to the fourth point in Minimix 29) – will be host the program and give viewers a glimpse behind the scenes. Lee Seung Gi, Han Hyo Joo, Bae Soo Bin, Moon Chae Won, and other cast members will participate in filming the special on July 30.
- Joo Jin Mo, Kim Beom, Son Dam Bi, Choi Yeo Jin and the rest of the cast and crew of SBS drama Dream kicked things off with a ceremony on July 15 at Ilsan Production Center.
The other lead cast member is Park Sang Won (Hateful But Once Again) as CEO Kang Kyung Tak. Julien Kang, Marcos Benjamin Lee, Hyun Woo, and Chung Lim have minor roles as Flower Fighters 101 (Double F 101) – a group of good-looking martial artists. Dream is scheduled to premiere on July 27 on SBS following Ja Myung Go‘s early exit.
- Actress Kim Sung Eun (Returned Earthen Bowl) and athlete Jung Jo Gook (FC Seoul) will hold their wedding at 6pm on December 11 at Walkerhill W Hotel’s Vista Hall. The two are approaching their one year anniversary, having been introduced to each other by friends last July. Both are in their mid-twenties, with Kim being several months older than Jung.
- Mother, starring Kim Hye Ja and Won Bin, has been invited to have its North American premiere at the 34th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in September. The TIFF describes it as “a unique noir thriller that digs into the secrecy surrounding a terrible murder and the mystery of a mother’s primal love for her son” and praises director Bong Joon Ho.
- The leads of Style began filming on June 22 in Jeju-do. The weekend drama is expected to begin airing on August 1, following the end of Brilliant Legacy.
- Lee Jung Jae expressed some regret over having had to turn down some leading roles in dramas that went on to great success. For example, he was a final contender for hits Lovers in Paris, Full House, and Sorry, I Love You. However, these parts eventually went to Park Shin Yang, Jung Ji Hoon (a.k.a. Rain/Bi), and So Ji Sub, respectively. Regarding his choice to decline the parts, Lee said, “I wanted to do all three of those productions. At the time, I was tied to the film Typhoon for at least a year so I had no choice but to give up. Honestly, it’s regrettable. I thought they were characters that I could express well.”
- Seo In Young revealed on Yashimmanman 2 just how difficult 2008 was for her. Her overload of singing and broadcasting activities led to high stress and depression to the extent that she was unable to fall asleep without prescription pills. Seo said, “Seeing how people who used to criticize me get wildly excited over me in one moment made me think, ‘Even if I do one little thing wrong, they’ll quickly turn their backs on me’. I even got auditory hallucinations.” Her depression was the reason for her abrupt departure for the United States. In addition, Seo broke up with her boyfriend last year after finding out that he wasn’t being [emotionally] faithful to her. She called his phone after receiving a text message saying “Sleep well” from him. He mistakenly pressed the talk button with his butt because it was [assumably] in his back pocket, and Seo could hear him seranading another girl. In other Seo In Young news, she is writing a book series about her experiences with travel and shopping abroad. The first book of the planned series highlights Tokyo and is being released on June 25.
- Lee Seung Gi was asked in an interview how his Two Days and One Night (1N2D) castmates reacted to his current drama, Brilliant Legacy. Suddenly putting his hands on his head, Lee said, “They keep pressuring me [by asking], ‘Your co-star Han Hyo Joo is so pretty…Can’t we meet her once?’ [Kang] Ho Dong hyung sent me a text message like this: ‘Sunwoo Hwan is cool. Eun Sung (Han Hyo Joo) is your girl. Seung Mi (Moon Chae Won) is a liar so you have to come to your senses’. Isn’t he toooooo absorbed [in the drama]?”
- Hyun Woo (Tae Hee / Hye Kyo / Ji Hyun) joins Kim Beom, Marcos Benjamin Lee (a.k.a. Marco), Julien Kang, and Chung Lim as mixed martial artists in SBS Dream. The drama also stars Joo Jin Mo, Son Dam Bi, and Choi Yeo Jin. Hyun Woo is currently attending action school for nine hours a day in order to train for the role.
- Jung Hyung Don and girlfriend Han Yu Ra have set a wedding date! After formally introducing their families on June 9, they have set September 12 as their wedding date although the venue has yet to be decided. The two met last year while working together on the SBS show Mystery Commando – he as a host and she as a scriptwriter. (She currently writes for MBC’s 오늘 밤만 재워줘 - loosely translated as Let Me Stay Over Tonight.) Although they began dating around October of 2008, the relationship was not publicized until this past April. Two of Jung’s Infinity Challenge co-hosts – Jung Joon Ha and Noh Hong Chul – also revealed their relationships this year.
- After a year and two months, Tablo is stepping down from being the DJ of Tablo’s Dream Station on MBC FM4U. There were various reasons cited – including increasing activities abroad and preparation for their sixth album as well as a remix album. June 13 will be his last broadcast.
- Hit weekend drama, Brilliant Legacy, has been extended by two episodes (to a total of 28) due to high ratings. Discussion continues over extending it further to 30 episodes, but has yet to be approved.
In related news, the show’s male lead, Lee Seung Gi (Sunwoo Hwan), distributed gifts to the entire staff of approximately 70 people. He gave each crew member a sweater, t-shirt, and handwritten letter to express his gratitude for their hard work. It reportedly took him about a week to write all of the personalized letters in between filming for Brilliant Legacy and Two Days and One Night.
- JYP Entertainment opened up an official English-language website for the Wonder Girls as their fame rises in America. In a hugely successful move for the group, the girls – Yenny “the go-getter”, Mimi “the daydreamer”, Sun “the perfectionist”, Sohee “the chic”, and Yubin “the swagger” – are touring with the Jonas Brothers for the entire summer. (KP’s note: Many Korean articles are referring to the Jonas Brothers as “America’s Big Bang” – in your opinion – true or false?)
In related news, the Wonder Girls are in China for a couple of days along with the cast of Two Days and One Night (1N2D / 1박 2일) to film a segment for the show before heading to the U.S.
- Hyun Young will begin studying at Korea University’s Graduate School of Journalism & Mass Communication this coming September. At age 32, Hyun Young stated that she is eager to study seriously since she is starting later than most. She will become schoolmates with actresses Lee In Hea (Iron Empress) and Kim A Joong (The Accidental Couple).
- Hallyu star Lee Young Ae (Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) was accepted into Hanyang University’s doctorate program for Theater & Cinema after submitting documents and passing an interview. Although she did not do a written test, a representative from Hanyang stated that Lee received no special consideration and was accepted on the same standard as all other doctorate students. After registering in July, she will begin her studies on September 1. Lee previously studied German at Hanyang for her undergraduate degree and attended Chung-Ang for her Master’s in theatre.
- Lee Kyung Kyu and Eun Ji Won join Kim Gu Ra and Moon Hee Jun as hosts on SBS variety program, Intimate Note (절친노트). The program will undergo some changes and be called Intimate Note 2 beginning June 19. Rather than inviting guests who are uncomfortable with each other to resolve their problems on the show (previous guests include Sohee-Yoobin, Seung Ri-Dae Sung, and Kangin-Sungmin), the second season will invite celebrity best friends to show viewers what true friendship is like. Close friends Kim Je Dong, Yoon Do Hyun, Kim Jang Hoon, and Bae Chil Soo will be Intimate Note 2‘s first featured guests.
Designed by Rem Koolhaas and his Office for Modern Architecture, Seoul’s Prada Transformer (English website: http://prada-transformer.com) is a “shape-shifting” venue for various exhibitions in the coming five months. First up is Miuccia Prada’s travelling exhibition of skirts.
Following the fashion exhibition, there will be a cinema exhibition in June, an art exhibition opening on July 30, and a special event in the fall.
The Prada Transformer project had a celebrity-filled opening reception at Kyunghee Palace on April 23. Go beyond the jump to check out the stars’ styles and leave a comment on your most of least favourite look of the evening! (KP’s note: Andre Kim doesn’t count since he’s ALWAYS best dressed. )
Episode 1 preview, translated from SBS:
Eun Sung is in her second year of studying at C.I.A, the top culinary school in America, after switching majors without her father’s knowledge. She returns from New York to Korea due to her father suddenly summoning her to come back. In accordance with her father’s request, Eun Sung has found a school that will cater to her younger brother Eun Woo, who has Savant syndrome and is a musical genius. Eun Sung figures that she will take this opportunity to confess her wrongdoing [of secretly changing majors] and then take Eun Woo back to New York with her. Eun Sung is exiting the gates – unaware that the luxury brand bag that she bought as a gift for her father got switched with Sunwoo Hwan’s bag – when…