Boys Over Flowers – News Review 3
2/15 – 2/21:
- The role of Cha Eun Jae (Yi Jeong’s childhood friend and first love) will be cast within the next few days. Drama representatives admitted that the character was supposed to be cast at least a week ago, as she must make her first appearance on episode 17 or 18. Due to the popularity of BOF, there was stiff competition for the part. Auditions began one month ago, and the pool is now narrowed down to two actresses. Update (2/24): Park Soo Jin has been confirmed for the role.
- For Valentine’s, Ku Hye Sun presented chocolate boxes to over 70 members of the cast and crew. The gifts were purchased for approximately 1 million won (currently just under $700 USD) from a bakery managed by her older sister.
- Lee Min Ho will undergo surgery for his right leg in May. He will take some time off from work following the surgery. Min Ho injured the leg in a car accident a few years ago while leaving for a trip with fellow actor and friend, Jung Il Woo.
- Hai Ming, who played Ji Hu’s flamboyant friend in episode 14, is a member of music group A’st1 – pronounced A-style. (The group is Korean-based, but has Chinese, Japanese, and Korean members. They will be releasing another album in April.) He and Kim Hyun Joong belong to the same agency; hence, are good friends. Being fluent in Cantonese, he helped the group during their stay in Macau. He will not appear past episode 15.
- Lee Min Jung admitted in an interview that she felt pressure due to the various skills (martial arts, multilingualism, etc.) she had to have for her character. Luckily, she had two years of taekwondo lessons when she was young. She doesn’t speak Cantonese or Mandarin, so in order to memorize her lines, she had to ask a Chinese friend to tape record her lines. Lee listened to them around 1000 times to be as accurate as possible. When asked if her and Jun Pyo have scenes requiring physical intimacy (“skinship”), she replied that they do. Apparently, the skinship is a result of Jun Pyo feeling hurt and emotionally shaken from seeing Ji Hu and Jan Di grow closer.
- Kim Joon denied rumours that he would be quitting T-Max to focus on an acting career. An agency representative said that Kim would prioritize Boys Over Flowers during its broadcast; however, once filming completes in April, he will return to making music with T-MAX. T-MAX will release a full-length album in March and is planning for a Japan concert in May.
- BOF PD Jun Ki Sang had to change his phone number after filming began due to the excessive calls he kept getting from all of his acquaintances – “Can I make a cameo on the show?”, “Can I come to watch filming?”, etc. They became so disruptive that he obtained a new number to use for the next few months – however, he didn’t even give the number to his family! He only gave the phone number to members of the BOF cast and crew with strict instructions not to give it out to anybody else.
- Lee Min Ho filmed two CFs on the 17. One was for Orion Market O cookies, and filming took place at a cafe near Hongdae. The butler from BOF appears with him. Lee gave boxes of these cookies to the BOF production crew as a “thank you” for their hard work.
- Kim So Eun got in trouble for arriving almost six hours late for filming Jun Pyo’s birthday party.
- Ku Hye Sun, Kim Hyun Joong, and Kim Joon will appear on February 26’s broadcast of KBS2 Happy Together Season 3. The other cast members are not able to appear due to scheduling conflicts.
- Kim Joon will give viewers a tour of his home on February 27’s broadcast of MBC program 오늘 밤만 제워줘 (loose translation – Let Me Stay Over Tonight).