An out-of-the-country edition:
- Wheesung had his first solo concert in Japan. ‘Super Live Concert 2009-WHEESHOW in Tokyo’ was held on April 12 at C.C. Lemon Hall in Tokyo. Wheesung brought all the equipment and staff required for the performance from Korea so that the Japanese concert would be the same as the Korean one. He sang about 20 songs including “With Me”, “Love is Delicious”, and “Insomnia”. The 2000 fans at the concert fervently watched the performance, standing from the first song to the encore. A representative of the performance agency in Japan said that after the performance about 90% of the audience responded in a survey that this was a performance they wanted to watch again. The rep also added that they are in discussions with Wheesung’s agency about holding more performances in different Japanese cities such as Osaka because the feedback from the concert was better than expected. The concert will be aired in June on Mnet Japan.
- Lee Min Ho, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Beom, Kim Joon, and Ku Hye Sun – BOF‘s F4 and Keum Jan Di – attended two promotional events for the Japanese release of the drama at Tokyo JCB Hall on April 16. In total, approximately 5000 fans got to see the cast in person. When asked if there’s been any change in himself due to playing Gu Jun Pyo, Lee Min Ho answered that his expenditures have gone up – he thinks it’s from getting a taste of all the luxurious locations and good food while acting as a millionaire the drama. In response to the question, “Would you confess your feelings to a friend’s girlfriend?”, Kim Hyun Joong said jokingly, “As long as it’s not [SS501] member Park Jung Min’s girlfriend, I would.”
- Actor Won Bin spent April 4 to 13 in Gambia as part of his duties as UNICEF goodwill ambassador. During the trip, he visited slums and schools in the capital city, Banjul. He also went to the eastern region of Basse to deliver mosquito nets and vitamins for malaria prevention. Won Bin stated, “I’m grateful that I got the opportunity to do something for children.” Clips from his volunteer trip will be broadcast on April 24 on MBC’s current affairs program, W, as part of it fourth anniversary special.
- Kim Min Ji (Boys Over Flowers) captivated Chinese fans through her appearance on the popular talkshow Tian Tian Xiang Shang on April 11’s broadcast. She gained recognition in China last year as a model for a domestic mobile phone brand.
- Epik High has put up the finalized dates for their world tour in spring.
- In May, Ju Ji Hun will hold fan meetings on May 15 and 16 in Osaka and Tokyo, respectively. The Tokyo event will also serve as a birthday party, since Ju’s 27th falls on the same day. The fan meetings will be in advance of the Japanese premieres of two of Ju’s films, The Naked Kitchen (in June) and Antique Bakery. On a related note, Ju has been cast as the male lead (opposite Kim Ji Soo) in the adaptation of Japanese hit novel and movie, Tokyo Tower.