KP’s note: Although it isn’t kpculture-related, the passing of a former president is big news – and even more so when surrounded by scandal – so read about Roh Moo Hyun’s suicide in the New York Times, the Associated Press, or BBC News.
On a related note, all of the major broadcasting stations cancelled a week’s worth of variety programs because they felt that it would be inappropriate during this tragic time.
- Veteran actress Yeo Woon Gye (69) passed away at on May 22 due to kidney cancer that had spread to her lungs. Yeo had an illustrious career spanning 57 years – some of her more recent works include Oh! Pil Seung and Bong Soon Young, Bad Family, War of Money, and Golden Era of Daughter-in-Law. Many entertainers are visiting the funeral hall at Yonsei University’s Severance Hospital to pay their respects.
- Yoon Sang Hyun, co-star on hit drama Queen of Housewives, teared up on May 22’s broadcast of Guerilla Date. When asked how his parents feel about his recent rise in fame, Yoon admitted that his father sadly does not yet recognize him after suffering a stroke when Queen of Housewives began filming.
- Korean-Japanese mixed martial artist Chu Sung Hoon (a.k.a Akiyama Yoshihiro) is the guest on Family Outing‘s May 31 and June 7 and June 14 broadcasts. He filmed with the cast and crew overnight on May 18 and 19 around Hwasung, Gyeonggi-do. Chu married Japanese model Shiho Yano earlier this year. Career-wise, he signed with UFC this past February and will fight in his first UFC match on June 11, 2009.
- The Slingshot (Story of a Man) stills from Gyeong Ah and Do Woo’s wedding were released this week, in advance of episode 15’s broadcast on Monday, May 25.
- Singer Lee Minwoo (a.k.a M) and TV personality Amy have split after half a year of dating. On May 18, a representative of M’s agency confirmed that the couple separated at the beginning of the month due to personality differences. Amy expressed through her minihompy on the same day, “I alone was happy… I alone was sad… I alone was hurt… I alone shed tears… I alone laughed… Now, I’m ok [doing] everything alone.” The two went from make-believe couple to actual couple through meeting on the reality TV program, Kkokko Sightseeing Single Single, last fall.