Archive for the ‘TV’ Category
“All good things come to an end”, they say. Well, maybe not all, but I’m afraid my adventure into entertainment blogging must. Although I’ve enjoyed the past six or seven months – particularly the popularity from the Boys Over Flowers craze, this site will be shut down shortly. Due to an upcoming career change, I can’t commit to maintaining a top-quality site – and I’d rather do no site than a mediocre one.
Thanks for your support up until now. Some of your e-mails and comments have been really encouraging. I haven’t decided if I’ll stop writing/translating for good; maybe I’ll contribute occasionally to other sites if they’ll have me.^^ Or, maybe I’ll continue anonymously correcting mistakes on other k-pop blogs, keke. I’d like to return to KPculture in the future because I think there’s a lack of objective Korean entertainment news out there, but it’s not realistic for the next while.
I’ll likely shut down the blog, e-mail account, and YouTube account by the end of this month so if you’d like to copy anything to replace the links you’ve made, please do so. Thanks in particular to people who linked KPculture on their blogroll, we really appreciated it! If you have any questions or requests, please leave a comment and we’ll try to respond. We’d especially like to hear from our regular visitors – what did/didn’t you like about the blog? Thanks for your input (in advance)!
P.S. For those who might have been curious – the blog began with two of us but ends with one. I became independent after becoming best friends with Naver Dictionary. ^^
- Couple Alert – Yoon Jin Seo and Lee Taek Keun have been confirmed as a couple by her agency. The actress and pro baseball athlete met while doing a photo shoot for Mnet’s Trend Report Feel – hosted by Yoon – in April and were introduced to each other by friends. They began dating in May. Yoon is currently filming Bimilae with Yoo Ji Tae while Lee is playing in the 2009 baseball season with the Woori Heroes.
- Lee Hyori and Ryoo Seung Beom are playing a long-time couple in a music video for hip-hop duo Leessang. For Leessang’s sixth album, Lee and Ryoo are starring in the MV for the title track as a couple who has been together for 10 years. Lee reportedly agreed to participate and moved around her schedule upon hearing that she would be working with siblings Ryoo Seung Beom and Ryoo Seung Wan. Ryoo Seung Wan is directing the video; he previously worked with Leessang on their “Ballerino” MV and in his 2008 film, Dachimawa Lee.
- The sixth episode of Style will feature cameos by 2ne1, FT Island, 2PM, Kang Ji Hwan, and Cha Ye Ryun. They filmed a party scene celebrating the 200th issue of Style magazine. The shoot took place in Itaewon on Monday, August 10. The episode will be broadcast on August 16. Style has already overcome the 20% mark in viewership after its fourth episode.
- Look at Alex’s and Ricky Neely Kim’s most recent photo essays here and here.
*KP’s note: The majority of bloggers have translated the title as You’re Beautiful. Although I agree that it sounds better than You’re Handsome, minam (미남) refers to a good-looking male. Naver Dictionary translates minamja as “handsome man”. Hence, until the English title is confirmed, we will probably refer to the drama as You’re Handsome. Oh, and just to make things more confusing, Park Shin Hye is playing both a female and a male – the former who takes over the latter’s identity. His name happens to be Mi Nam. So who knows? Maybe the drama will be called You’re Minam. Read below the jump for further details.
PD Hong Sung Chang has confirmed that Jang Keun Suk and Park Shin Hye will star in his upcoming SBS drama series, You’re Handsome* (English title unconfirmed; 미남이시네요). He said that Jang and Park were cast because of their acting skills, and at ages 22 and 19 respectively, they are well-suited to convey “fresh” idol stars.
- Two Days and One Night (1N2D; 1박2일) will try to follow up its successful Audience Tour Special with a Foreigner Tour Special. Six foreigners residing in Korea were invited to join Kang Ho Dong, MC Mong, Kim C, Lee Su Geun, and Lee Seung Gi on a trip to Chungsando from August 5 to 6. The guests ranged in language abilities, but there were no translators used. The Foreigner Tour Special will be broadcast on August 16 and 23 on KBS2.
In other 1N2D news, there are currently discussions regarding whether or not Kim Jong Min will return as a regular member upon his completion of military service in December.
- On August 5, members of DC Inside (internet community portal) Jung Il Woo Gallery congratulated the actor’s 1000th day since his debut by sending rice cake snacks for the entire cast and crew of Jung’s new drama, My Fair Lady. The rice cakes were accompanied by several other gifts for the star.
- Tamra, the Island (also called Tamna the Island; 탐나는 도다)’s leads, Im Ju Hwan and Seo Woo have denied reports that they are dating. In an interview with Money Today’s Star News, Im stated that they are just good colleagues. (When asked, he responded that his last relationship was a couple of years ago with a fellow university student.) Since the Group Eight production filmed for four months last year in Jeju-do, the four main cast members – Seo Woo, Im Ju Hwan, Hwang Chan Bin, and Lee Sun Ho – grew very close. Tamra, the Island begins its broadcast this weekend at 7:55pm.
- Yashimmanman 2 broadcast its Brilliant Legacy special this week with guests Han Hyo Joo, Lee Seung Gi, Moon Chae Won, Bae Soo Bin, Kim Mi Sook, and Yoo Ji In. On the program, Moon Chae Won was asked which of her former co-stars she likes better – Lee Min Ho or Lee Seung Gi. Her response?
Lee Seung Gi!
- Style debuted last weekend on SBS with a strong viewership of approximately 17%. Although reviews were generally favourable, there was significant criticism towards E Ji Ah’s over-the-top acting as opposed to Kim Hye Soo’s strong performance as Editor Park Gi Ja.
- Cha Ye Ryun and Lee Dong Gun have supposedly ended their relationship – but sources close to Lee are claiming that the two were never dating in the first place and remain good friends.
- Actors Seo Hyo Rim (Good Job, Good Job) and Song Joong Ki (Triple) are taking over as hosts of KBS2’s Music Bank. Their first broadcast will be on August 7. Seo and Song replace comedian Yoo Se Yoon and announcer Park Eun Young.
- The jacket cover for BoA’s upcoming album has been released. Deluxe is a repackaged version of her first American album with additional remixes. The repackaged album will go on sale on September 1. BoA recently released the music video for her third U.S. single, “Energetic”.
- Park Yong Ha’s Japanese mini-album, Once in a Summer, climbed up to sixth place on the Oricon Chart upon its release on July 29. This album commemorates five years since Park’s debut in Japan. Once in a Summer includes seven tracks of various genres including ballad and bossa nova. Singer Park Hyo Shin worked as a producer for the album.
- Kim Joon’s musical debut contributed to a 30% increase in March of Youth (젊음의 행진)’s ticket sales to practically fill up the Coex Artium. Kim Joon is playing a handsome student teacher in the musical featuring several hit songs and dance moves from the eighties. Fellow T-Max member, Park Yoon Hwa, is also a cast member.